About the Group
Diabetes and related metabolic conditions are a leading cause of ill-health and premature mortality exerting huge financial pressures on the health services.
The Diabetes Research Group at Swansea is active in areas of basic, clinical, epidemiological, social care and health services research across Wales.
- The prevalence of diabetes is now over 7% of the population and is set to rise dramatically over coming years.
- Diabetes is thought to account for more than 10% of NHS spend.
- Over 20% of hospital in-patients in Wales have diabetes.
- Over half of all adults in Wales are overweight or obese.
- The prevalence of childhood obesity (25%) is higher in Wales than in both England and Scotland (2014).
- Type 1 diabetes accounts for around 10% of all patients with diabetes and carries a particularly high burden for patients and families, with over 1000 children in Wales affected.
The Groups overarching aim is to address these important health-care needs by undertaking and supporting translational research to advance development and implementation of therapeutic strategies for prevention and treatment of diabetes.