World Diabetes Day 2017
Tue 14th Nov, 2017
Various locations in Wales
World Diabetes Day (WDD) is celebrated annually on November 14 led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) in response to growing concerns about the escalating health threat posed by diabetes. It is a day when millions of people around the world come together to raise awareness of diabetes, and what it’s really like to live with the condition.
Visit the International Diabetes Federation website to read more.
The theme of World Diabetes Day 2017 is Women and diabetes - our right to a healthy future.
There are lots of events and activities planned for World Diabetes Day.
- The Diabetes Research Unit Cymru (DRU Cymru) team based in Swansea will light up the Grove Building, Swansea University in Blue on 14th November in support of World Diabetes day. This activity is highlighted on the IDF World Diabetes Map https://www.idf.org/wdd-events/
- To highlight the symptoms and risks of diabetes a video has been produced featuring Professor Steve Bain and Professor Jeff Stephens which will be released on 14th November. The new video compliments the video recently produced about DRU Cymru which can be found on the website http://www.diabeteswales.org.uk/en/
- At Cardiff University the Diabetes Research Group will have an open lab event on World Diabetes day https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cardiff-university-world-diabetes-day-event-tickets-38804384960
- Dr Sam Rice, Consultant Endocrinologist at Hywel Dda University Health Board and Work Package lead for New Therapies and Devices within DRU Cymru, has already run more than 25 kilometres between GP surgeries in Aberystwyth as part of a campaign to raise awareness of diabetes and the ‘PocketMedic’ series of information videos. Dr Rice plans to raise awareness of diabetes and the PocketMedic films on WDD by running between 30 GP practices in Cardiff https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes.org.uk/In_Your_Area/Wales/News/Consultant-runs-to-Aberystwyth-GP-surgeries
- In Swansea DRU Cymru are working with the Talent Bank to arrange lab visits and a ‘Diabetes Master Class’ for 1st and 2nd year college students to learn more about diabetes
- DRU Cymru have signed up to a Twitter Media campaign Thunderclap to raise awareness of Diabetes
- An event to celebrate World Diabetes Day will also be held at Cardiff Metropolitan University https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cardiff-university-world-diabetes-day-event-tickets-38804384960
- World Diabetes Day Think Tank at Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli